Saturday, August 13, 2011

Mugwump Meandering to Michigan: Moratorium on Musings

Good morning,

For the past couple of years, I have had the pleasure of being invited to Ludington, Michigan in late summer, to spend a week at the "cottage" -- a word which here means "a 3500 square foot house" -- of my now sister-in-law. This home has been in the MacLaughlin family for several generations. It is a lovely, inviting placed filled with comfortable chairs and smiling people, perched above Lake Michigan.

Last year we combined this visit with the return-to-college trip of my son. This year, Patrick is driving his vehicle to Michigan, and then taking his twenty-year-old self off to DePauw. Mom will try desperately not to cry as he pulls away from the cottage, five days hence.

For these reasons, I annually take a small break from musing -- or from Musing, since I never cease my internal conversations. I bid you good days, in these late days of summer. Prepare your children well for the start of school; visit your aging parents on your vacation days, lest you miss the last opportunity to sit in their gracious company. Rest on your porch, in a rocker, with a good book and a tall glass of something refreshing.

I will return, by and by.

Mugwumpishly tendered,

Corinne Corley

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Missouri Mugwump™

My photo
I've been many things in my life: A child, a daughter, a friend; a wife, a mother, a lawyer and a pet-owner. I've given my best to many things and my worst to a few. I live in Brookside, in an airplane bungalow. I'm an eternal optimist and a sometime-poet. If I ever got a poem published in The New Yorker, I would die a happy woman. I'm a proud supporter of the Arts in Kansas City. I vote Democrat, fly the American flag, cry at Hallmark commercials, and recycle.